155: For The Win Creator Jamie Mottram On His Sports Journey
Jamie Mottram, creator of For The Win, joins Rob Cressy to talk about the journey of his sports career. Jamies shares how he went from studying mass communications at James Madison to creating AOL’s FanHouse, to creating blogs for Yahoo, to creating For The Win for USA Today Sports Media.
Jamie gives a ton of actionable advice for anyone looking to make a career of working in sports and no doubt you’ll get a ton of value from this.
In the conversation Jamie Mottram and I talk about:
- What was the first sports job that he had and how did he land it?
- How did the opportunity with AOL and FanHouse come about?
- Podcasting when iPods were a thing.
- Recommendations for someone looking to start a career working in sports.
- The important of Twitter in building your sports media brand.
At the end we also have the Tampa Bay lightning round (Go Pens) where Jamie answers a bevy of sports questions.
Follow Jamie Mottram on Twitter @JamieMottram.
You can check out the other conversations from my How To Make It In Sports Media series:
- 9. Maurice Peebles, Deputy Editor at Complex Sports
- 8. Joel Cordes, NBA Editor and Analyst at Bleacher Report
- 7. Dylan MacNamara, Director of Talent & Media at Bleacher Report
- 6. Zack McRite, 107.7 The Franchise
- 5. Liz Loza, Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- 4. Dan Clasgens, FoxSports 1360, ESPN 1530 & GetSportsInfo.com
- 3. Todd Heyden, Co-Founder of Sports Lock
- 2. Larry Brown, Founder of LarryBrownSports.com
- 1. Jim Weber, Founder of LostLettermen.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
1. World’s Largest eBay NBA Jerseys Database: Find NBA jerseys on eBay easier. We’ve got over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Dream of Working in Sports? We are looking for talented, passionate sports fans that want to be part of Team Bacon Sports and help grow the brand. Having the sports job of your dreams is possible and we want to help make that happen!
3. Follow Bacon Sports on Snapchat: If you are on Snapchat then you need to be following me faster than Antonio Brown can take one to the house.
4. Bacon Sports Newsletter: If you love all sports everythang, Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, rocking jerseys, or the Ultimate Warrior then sign up for our newsletter.No Comments