177: Mark Burns On His Sports Journey
Mark Burns, Senior Writer at SportTechie, joins Rob Cressy to talk about the journey of his sports career. Mark shares how he went from the University of Michigan to being named to Forbes Sports 30 Under 30, to being a Talent Marketing Executive with CSE, to his current gig as a Senior Writer at SportTechie.
Mark gives a ton of actionable advice for anyone looking to make a career of working in sports and no doubt you’ll get a ton of value from this.
In the conversation Mark Burns and I talk about:
- How he landed his first sports opportunity.
- How he landed an internship with the Nashville Predators.
- How he builds relationships, both online and offline.
- The role freelance writing has had in his career.
- His success mindset both early in his career as well as now.
At the end we also have the Tampa Bay lightning round where Mark answers a bevy of sports questions.
You can check out the other conversations from my How To Make It In Sports Media series:
- 11. Andy Gray, Sports Illustrated
- 10. Jamie Mottram, Creator of For The Win
- 9. Maurice Peebles, Deputy Editor at Complex Sports
- 8. Joel Cordes, NBA Editor and Analyst at Bleacher Report
- 7. Dylan MacNamara, Director of Talent & Media at Bleacher Report
- 6. Zack McRite, 107.7 The Franchise
- 5. Liz Loza, Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- 4. Dan Clasgens, FoxSports 1360, ESPN 1530 & GetSportsInfo.com
- 3. Todd Heyden, Co-Founder of Sports Lock
- 2. Larry Brown, Founder of LarryBrownSports.com
- 1. Jim Weber, Founder of LostLettermen.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
AWESOME SPORTS STUFF!
1. World’s Largest eBay NBA Jerseys Database: Find NBA jersey on eBay easier. We’ve got over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Follow Bacon Sports on Snapchat: If you are on Snapchat then you need to be following us faster than Gus Johnson can say, “RISE AND FIRE!!!”
3. Write Funnier: For the last 4 years I’ve studied comedy writing at Second City and from one of the Co-Founders of The Onion. Learn how to become a funnier writer and take your business, career, or blog to the next level. Use promo code BOOM for 23% off at checkout.
4. Sports Marketing Huddle: Say hello to my newest project. A podcast that takes a look at all things marketing in the world of sports!
Jersey Loving Sports Fans Wanted
If you love Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, rocking jerseys, and can’t wait for the college football season to get here then sign up for our newsletter.