Happy Staturday! With college basketball back in full swing, it is time to delve into the world of Dick Vitale, Gus Johnson, and Jay Bilas and find some stats that are PTP’er worthy. Here are 20 of them to help you get your college basketball learn on.
1. Since 1990, only one Big Ten team has won a national title. That was Michigan St. in 2000. That was the squad with the Flintstones.
2. Former Virginia Cavalier Ralph Sampson is the only player to win the AP National Player of the Year award 3 times. He did it from 1981-1983.
3. Former Florida St. and DePaul head coach Pat Kennedy holds the distinction of having the most losses during a coaching career with 455.
4. Pistol Pete Maravich averaged the most points per game for a season in NCAA history with 44.5 with LSU in 1970. Note: there was no three point line at that time.
5. The record for most games played during a college career belongs to David Lighty who played in 157 games for Ohio St. from 2007-2011. Somehow Alan Henderson feels slighted.
6. UConn holds an interesting record for scoring the most points to open a game while holding the other team scoreless. The Huskies scored 32 points before New Hampshire could put the ball in the hoop one time in a game in 1990.
7. In 2011, the Ohio State Buckeyes made 14 straight three-point FGs without a miss in a game against Wisconsin, which is an NCAA record.
8. The record for most OTs in one game is 7. The University of Cincinnati beat Bradley that night by the surprisingly low score of 75-73 in 1981. How very Big 10 of them.
9. The 2012-2013 Towson Tigers hold the record for biggest turnaround from one season to the next, improving 17.5 games from the previous year going from 1-31 to 18-13.
10. The 1976 Indiana Hoosiers were the last team to go undefeated in a season with a 32-0 record. Calbert Chaney was not on that team.
11. Syracuse holds the current record for consecutive non-losing seasons with 44. They haven’t finished a season below .500 since 1969.
12. Former Oklahoma Sooner Mookie Blaylock recorded the most steals in one game with 13. He actually did this twice, once in 1987 and again in 1988. No doubt Eddie Vedder knew this.
13. The North Carolina Tarheels have defeated the #1 team in the country the most times at 13.
14. Blake Ahearn of Missouri St. holds the record for highest FT percentage for a season hitting 97.5% in 2004.
15. Chris Jackson, now known as Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, averaged the most PPG as a freshman with 30.2 in 1990.
16. The record for fewest combined points scored in a game between two teams in 17. Tennessee beat Temple 11-6 in a real barn-burner in 1974.
17. The University of Kentucky has the highest winning percentage of any NCAA D-I program at 76.1%.
18. North Carolina holds an incredible 56 game home winning streak against Clemson dating back to 1926.
19. In 1983, a record 7 teams were ranked #1 at one point in the season.
20. The Xavier Musketeers hold the record for largest margin of victory over a #1 team defeating St. Josephs 87-67 in 2004. That’s the St Joe’s squad that had Jameer Nelson and Delonte West on it.
YOU SHOULD LIKE BACON SPORTS ON FACEBOOK HERE
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: