According to the ESPN commercial, it’s the most wonderful time of the year! Get your college football pick’ em pools ready, but don’t put too much time and thought into it. No matter how much time you invest picking the games, it won’t matter. Some girl who has no clue what color a football is will win it, anyway. Here are 15 college football bowl game stats to get the Bowl season kicked off.
1. The Alabama Crimson Tide currently hold the record for most all-time bowl victories with 34. USC is a close second with 31.
2. The Western Michigan Broncos are still waiting to pop their post-season bowl cherry, having appeared in the most bowl games (5) without winning a single one of them.
3. Bobby Bowden holds the record for most bowl wins by any NCAA football coach going 21-10-1 with Free Shoes University (Florida St.) and West Virginia.
4. Former West Virginia QB and current New York Jets draft bust Geno Smith holds the record for most TDs in a bowl game with 7 during the 2012 Orange Bowl blow out where they embarrassed Clemson 70-33.
5. The last bowl game that ended in a tie was the 1991 Holiday Bowl where Ty Detmer’s BYU Cougars battled the Iowa Hawkeyes to a 13-13 finish. I don’t think there would be a bigger waste of time and money to a sports fan than watching two mediocre teams tie in a bowl game.
6. In the BCS era, the Ohio St. Buckeyes and Oklahoma Sooners have the record most BCS bowl game appearances with 8.
7. Lou Holtz, who is now known as the guy who argues with Mark May on ESPN over everything, was, at one time, a great college football coach leading a record 5 different teams to bowl games over his career.
8. In an era where just about every team gets into a bowl, there is one team that has been so consistently terrible that they haven’t made a bowl appearance since 1960, which is the longest current bowl drought in the NCAA. Congratulations to New Mexico St. for keeping up that level of perpetual misery.
9. The Heisman Trophy winner has played in a bowl game every year since 1969. The last winner to not play in a bowl game was Oklahoma RB Steve Owens, who led OU to a 6-4 record. In 2012, a 6-4 record would get you into the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl.
10. Bobby Bowden and his Seminoles hold the record for most consecutive bowl victories with 11 from 1985-1996 with legends like Deion Sanders, Peter Tom Willis, Amp Lee, Casey Weldon and Charlie Ward leading the way.
11. With the Florida Gators completely disintegrating during this season due to injury, the Virginia Tech Hokies, who are always the most overrated team every year, now hold the record for most consecutive bowl appearance with 21.
12. BYU coach LaVell Edwards has led the fighting Mormons to the most NCAA bowl game losses over a career going 7-14-1.
13. The biggest beat down ever in an NCAA bowl game took place at the 2008 GMAC Bowl. The Tulsa Golden Hurricane destroyed the Bowling Green Falcons 63-7. Gotta love the MACtion.
14. The Baylor Bears and Washington Huskies hold the record for most points scored in a non-OT bowl game scoring 123 total points in a 67-56 Bears victory in the 2011 Alamo Bowl.
15. One NFL trend for you as you prepare to bet your Christmas shopping money this weekend, the Seattle Seahawks are 10-0 ATS when playing a team with a winning record in the second half of the season since 2011. Seattle -10 vs. Arizona. As the late Jose Lima used to say, “Believe it!”
YOU SHOULD LIKE BACON SPORTS ON FACEBOOK HERE
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: