Feast your eyes on one of the top five mullets in sports history. The career of Dwayne Schintzius (good luck with that pronunciation) was defined by this mullet, which earned the nickname “the lobster.” Let me make that clear. The hair itself earned the nickname, not the man. During a standout college career at University of Florida, the seven-footer found himself suspended for a frat house fight. One of the conditions of his return to the team was shaving the mullet. Dwayne ultimately quit the team. Count Spurs GM Brandon Bass as another hater of his 1990 first round pick’s hairstyle. Bass’s request for Schintzius to cut his hair was actually fulfilled, but Dwayne had the last laugh when he put the hair clippings in an envelope and mailed them to his GM.
Schintzius retired after just eight seasons, but can you blame him? After all of the money made from his billboard hit “Achy Breaky Heart” under the stage name Billy Ray Cyrus, why would Dwayne continue to ride the pine in the NBA? Legend has it, his daughter gained her penchant for sticking her tongue out by watching Michael Jordan dunk over her father. Oh wait, this isn’t the same guy?
Other Dwayne Schintzius fun facts:
- Dwayne played the role of a New York Knick in the movie Eddie starring Whoopi Goldberg.
- Dwayne was a witness in the trial of Jayson William over the shooting death of his limo driver. Schintzius testified that he had seen Williams shoot his own dog.
Have a Terribly Awesome Basketball Card that you’d like us to feature? Shoot a picture over to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Terribly Awesome Football Card: he has the laser focus of an eagle
- Terribly Awesome Basketball Card: this is slow even for white guy standards
- Terribly Awesome Baseball Card: That’s an interesting place to put your head
- Terribly Awesome Baseball Card looks like he’s younger than Eddie Winslow
- Terribly Awesome Baseball Card looks like an extra from Coming to America