It is finally here, the most wonderful time of the year. The NBA is back and it is shaping up to be another season of 5,000 word Bill Simmons NBA columns and Jeff Van Gundy in-game commentary. I cannot think of many things better than that. Here is to the next 8 months of NBA action and to making you a smarter sports fan. Here’s 20 juicy NBA stats.
1. The theme for the NBA on NBC was created by none other than musical impresario John Tesh. Here’s a video showing how he came up with the idea for the song by leaving a message on his answering machine (this is pretty sweet despite what you might think of John Tesh).
2. The record for most games played by one NBA player is held by none other than Robert Parish aka The Chief with 1,611 games.
3. The most accurate 3-point shooter by percentage of all-time in NBA history is Steve Kerr at 45.4%.
4. The oldest everyday player to appear in an NBA game was Kevin Willis, who was 44 years and 224 days in his final game in 2007.
5. The Cleveland Cavaliers hold the record for the longest losing streak in NBA history at 26 games set in the 2010-2011 season at 26 games. Coincidentally, the Cavs also hold the record for the second longest losing streak at 24 games set in 1983.
6. The 1985-1986 Boston Celtics hold the title for best home record in NBA history going 50-1, including the playoffs, en route the 1986 NBA title.
7. Not surprisingly, Michael Jordan holds the record for highest paid player for one season when he was paid $33 million in 1997. If you calculate inflation, that would be $48 million in 2013 dollars.
8. Chucky Brown, Jim Jackson, Tony Massenburg, and Joe Smith each hold the distinction of playing for the most franchises during their career with 12.
9. The Golden State Warriors franchise has lost the most games in their existence with 2,829.
10. Hakeem Olajuwon holds the record for most blocks during a career with 3,830. His closest competition is over 600 blocks behind him.
11. The L.A. Clippers franchise holds the record for longest playoff drought at 15 seasons from 1976-1977 through 1990-1991. The longest current streak is 9 season by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
12. The longest consecutive playoff appearance streak belongs to the Philadelphia 76ers who made the playoffs 22 straight seasons from 1950-1971. The Spurs hold the current record at 16 seasons.
13. The Utah Jazz hold the record for biggest comeback in NBA history, overcoming a 36 point halftime deficit to defeat the Denver Nuggets 107-103.
14. The Milwaukee Bucks overcame the largest 4th quarter deficit by coming back to beat the Atlanta Hawks after being behind 29 points with just 8:43 remaining in the game in 1977.
15. Gerald Green of the Phoenix Suns was the last player drafted into the NBA straight from high school in 2005.
16. Andrew Bynum was the youngest player ever to play in an NBA game at 18 years and 6 days old in 2005.
17. The Seattle Supersonics Dale Ellis holds the record for most minutes played in one game with 69 during a 5 OT game against Milwaukee in 1989.
18. Scott Skiles holds the record for most dimes dropped in one game with 30 during a game against the Denver Nuggets in 1990.
19. The Minnesota Timberwolves Michael Williams recorded the most consecutive FTs made over the course of 2 seasons making 72 in a row in from 1992-1993 through 1993-1994.
20. Dallas Maverick Bubba Wells incredibly fouled out of game in only 3 minutes during a game against the Bulls in 1997. To be fair, the Mavs were trying to get Dennis Rodman to the FT line as much as possible.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: