Few combinations in life are as good as bacon and sports, but jerseys and Saved By The Bell are a close second. That’s why when I saw that the Brooklyn Cyclones, a single A baseball team, were going to wear Saved By The Bell jerseys I was more excited than Jessie Spano after a handful of caffeine pills.
Even better, the Saved By The Bell festivities aren’t just limited to awesome jerseys. Here’s more of what the Cyclones have planned for their Saved By The Bell Night on June 24 (per their site.)
- Pre-game “Sprain” Dancing Competition
- A.C. Slater’s Sitting Backwards Musical Chairs
- I’m So Excited Fan Cam
- Mr. Tuttle’s Learner’s Permit On-Field Obstacle Course
- Screech Powers Chess Tournament on the Concourse Level
- Kiss Cam complete with the usual “WOOOOOOOOOOOW” sounds since our game will also be taped in front of a live studio audience
- Anyone named Johnny Dakota is banned from the ballpark because we “Say Nope to Dope”
- Oldest Cell Phone in the Ballpark Competition
- Friendship bracelet station on the concourse…singing “Friends Forever” will be optional.
- Zack Morris TIMEOUT Race Around the Bases – kids will race around the bases, but most stop in their tracks every time they hear TIMEOUT.
- After the game, fans with perms or wearing stonewashed jeans will be allowed to run the bases.
I’d like to give major props to the Brooklyn Cyclones for their attention to detail and really capturing the wonderfulness that was Saved By The Bell. This is sports marketing after my own heart.
That being said, there’s a few things that I take issue with and a couple of additions that I’d like to throw in.
First, and this is a glaring omission bigger than Isiah Thomas not making the Dream Team, but how was there no mention of the greatest character slash substitute teacher slash white water rafting guide slash ladies man who’s love of flight attendants is unrivaled and who’s mane is flowing like the salmon of Capistrano. I’m speaking of course about Rod Belding.
At minimum a Rod Belding paper airplane throwing contest would be in order if not a “All Flight Attendants get in free” promo. Quite frankly I think that Rod deserves an entire night dedicated just to him.
As for the matter of Johnny Dakota, why all the hate? If anything he should be looked upon as a role model. Need I remind you that the current president of the United States smoked pot in High School and even dabbled in blow. That’s right, blow. And you wanna get your panties all in a bunch because Johnny Dakota smoked some good stuff and then offered to share it with his new friends?
Had Zack, Slater, and the crew just stuck to pot then they never would have decided to drink and drive in Lisa Turtle’s Mom’s car which then lead to an accident. I don’t know about you but that seems like a far worse offense then smoking a little pot.
I am a fan of the AC Slater backwards musical chairs, but the concept could be taken even a step further. The Cyclone’s could encourage fans to also go to the bathroom AC Slater style. That’s right, sit on the toilet backwards and do your business.
I’d be remiss to not at least mention that I’m disappointed that Jeff from the Max, Jessie’s evil brother Eric who blackmailed Zack into giving him the ball he caught at the Dodgers game, and The Attic all didn’t get included in Saved By The Bell Night. If and when this night is a huge success for the Brooklyn Cyclones I assume they’ll do it again and can include them in their festivities.
In case you missed it, the Jimmy Fallon Saved By The Bell sketch is a must watch.
Now excuse me while I go try and find a Teen Line this is Nitro shirt.
Send all tips, suggestions, and praise to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you’ve got any Saved By The Bell festivities you’d like to see added shoot me over your thoughts on Facebook or Twitter @BaconSports.