The Super Bowl is only a few days away and I’m pretty sure that everyone is tired of hearing the same substanceless reports about Rob Gronkowski’s ankle, Peyton Manning’s status with the Colts, and why the Giants are going to win this game. I find it kind of hard to believe that so many “experts” and analysts are taking the two and a half point underdog New York Giants to win the Super Bowl. My unofficial tally has it something like 70% for the Giants and 30% for the Patriots. Even though I’ll be heavily rooting for the Giants because I’m a Steelers fan and I don’t like the Patriots I believe that the Patriots are going to win. Here’s my “square” take for why.
- Everyone is focusing more on the Giants being hot instead of how they SHOULD have lost to the 49ers. If not for a questionable forward progress call by the refs on an Ahmad Bradshaw fumble plus Kyle Williams awful fumble the Giants wouldn’t be in this position. The 49ers were 1 for 13 on 3rd down and still had a chance late in the game to win it (if not for Williams). That was also with Alex Smith at the helm. Let that sink in for a second…zero Super Bowl title can barely throw it 15 yards down the field Alex Smith.
- The Patriots got lucky when Billy Cundiff missed a chippy and they should have lost the game. I don’t buy this argument one bit. Billy Cundiff’s field goal was to tie the game, not win it. Even if his field goal did go in which would you rather have in overtime with a spot to the Super Bowl on the line: the Ravens on the road or Tom Brady at home? I’m taking McDreamy.
- Betting against Tom Brady is like taking the under in a Hawaii or Oregon game or betting on Red at Roulette (thank you Wesley Snipes). Just don’t do it.
Final Score: New England Patriots 31 New York Giants 23
Super Bowl MVP: Wes Welker (he gets 14 catches for 120+ yards as the Patriots do a lot of quick passes to neutralize the Giants pressure)
Here are some things that I am looking forward to this weekend:
- Potentially seeing Bill Belichick smile or show emotion. Like seeing Adam Dunn get a base hit, it doesn’t happen often.
- Bill Belichick’s girlfriend, Gisele, and Wes Welker’s fiance Anna Burns.
- College Basketball on Saturday: Ohio St vs Wisconsin and Kansas vs. Missouri. Most of America doesn’t know this but the college basketball season isn’t just in March. These are big time games that will have implications for later in the year.
- Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit at UFC 143 for the interim Welterweight Title. Nick Diaz is one bad ass dude. He’s no GSP though.
- Pittsburgh Penguins vs Boston Bruins on Saturday. Evgeni Malkin is the best player in hockey right now and the Pens have won 8 of their last 10. The Bruins are one of the top three teams in hockey. Should be a fantastic game.
- Watching football for one last time until August. I’m not ready for baseball…I’m a Pirates fan.