It’s Friday, you ain’t got no job. You ain’t got shit to do….so let’s….read the Midday Cup Check.
Blowing out the Candles
- Kris Draper, Detroit Red Wings stud, played 20 years in the league and helped the Red Wings win 4 cups. Not bad for a player acquired from the Winnipeg Jets (before they were Colorado, not after they were Atlanta first) in 1993 for the then-waiver price of $1.
- Joe Dumars, two time NBA Champ and backcourt partner of Isiah Thomas. Dumars helped define the defensive mode of the tough Pistons teams of the late 80s and early 90s. Sorry boys, Jordan came to the league or you may have won more.
- Happy Birthday Tracy McGrady, you finally made it to the second round of the playoffs. What a birthday present. After leading the league in scoring a few years and being a 7 time all star, playing 5 minutes a game for the Spurs got you there.
- Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon, currently hurling for the Oakland Athletics in the AL West. I wonder if Billy Beane used his sabermetrics stats for Colon or just needed an inning eater? Colon was also famously lost by the White Sox staff for almost a week. How do you lose a man of his size?
What happened on this day in sports
- On this day in 1935 the first ever night game was played in Major League Baseball. Almost a 80 years later, the Cubs still cant hold as many night games as they want.
- Andre Dawson, the Hawk, was walked intentionally a record 5 times. What a stud.
Totally Random Awesome Sports Video
Congrats to Patrick Roy, one the greatest goalies in the history of the NHL, on your appointment to coach your team, the Colorado Avalanche. Here is a look at one of the best goalie fights in NHL history. Patrick Roy versus Mike Vernon of the Red Wings. Could you imagine Corey Crawford going at it with Jimmy Howard? No stones these days.
Sports Trivia (answers below)
After going up 3 games to 1 on the Blackhawks, I thought I would give some love to the euchre loving, hand showing where they live people from Detroit.
- Who is the Detroit Pistons all time leader in blocks, with 1486?
- Who is the Detroit Tigers all time leader in striking out, with 1189?
- Who is the all time Detroit Lions leader in tackles in a season, with 189?
- This man had 869 stolen bases for the Tigers in his career.
- This Red Wings great is the all time leader in games played and points.
Two Balls and One Strike
Two of the stats/facts below are true and one of them is completely made up. Which one is not true? (answers at bottom of page)
- Gordie Howe has played in the exact number of regular season games for the Red Wings as Pavel Datsyuk and Sergei Fedorov combined
- Josh Hamilton was the number one overall pick in the 1999 MLB draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- Hall of famer Marshall Faulk attended Oklahoma State for college.
Here is possibly the most sizzling bikini in all the land.
Sports Trivia Answers
- Ben Wallace
- Brandon Inge
- Chris Spielman
- Ty Cobb
- Gordie Howe
Two Balls One Strike Answer
Number 3 is incorrect. Marshall Faulk attended San Diego State University.
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: