In my third interview on How To Make It In Sports Media I talk with Todd Heyden, co-founder of SportsLock, on building a mobile fantasy sports platform built around the concept of brackets and making fantasy sports more social and fun.
I wanted to interview Todd because he is building something great in the world of sports. He’s an example of someone who has a burning passion and desire to be the best and hopefully others who dream of working in sports can learn from his experience and journey.
In the interview Todd Heyden and I talk about:
- How is SportsLock different from DraftKings & FanDuel?
- Why SportsLock’s branding is relevant, edgy, and social.
- With all the regulations that are going on in New York with the daily fantasy sports industry, is it here to stay?
- What fun and exciting things are SportsLock working on?
- Let’s go to the first day that he started SportsLock with his co-founder Ross Karel. What was it like taking the leap?
- What are some of the biggest things he’s learned as he’s grown the business?
- What is a typical day like (from when he wakes up until he goes to bed)?
- What skills or attributes does he look for in potential employees?
- What advice does he have for someone who hopes to work in sports one day?
At the end we also have a lightning round where Todd answers a bevy of sports questions.
Here’s an audio only/podcast version:
You can download SportsLock in the app store and when you do make sure to use promo code BACON. Todd will hook you up!
Here’s one of SportsLock’s commercials they recently ran on ESPN to give you a taste for how they get down.
You can check out the other interviews from my How To Make It In Sports Media interview series:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
1. World’s Largest NBA Jerseys Database: There’s over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Dream of Working in Sports? We are looking for talented, passionate sports fans that want to be part of Team Bacon Sports and help grow the brand. Having the sports job of your dreams is possible and we want to help make that happen!
3. 11 Funny Filters to Write Jokes : Write better comedy by learning the fundamentals of joke writing from the Second City Training Center in Chicago.