How does Guinness BBQ Sauce Glazed Bacon sound to you? Amazing, I know. Guinness + Bacon is a combination almost as good as Bacon and Sports. We want to make sure that when you are watching 10+ hours a day of football on the weekends that you are doing it right. Eating chips and dip are game watching staples, but you can take your grubbing to the next level with this phenomenal Guinness BBQ Sauce Glazed Bacon recipe from our friends over at BaconToday.com.
Every Friday we are going to be dropping an awesome bacon tailgating recipe that you can add to your arsenal. As long as you can follow some simple directions and go to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients then you’ll have no problem making the recipes. Also, if you are heading out tailgating make sure to check out our #takebacktailgating page and send over some pics of you and your crew doing you thing!
Guinness BBQ Sauce Glazed Bacon Ingredients:
1 lb. bacon
3 Tbsp. bacon grease
2 sweet onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup molasses
1 cup Guinness beer
1 cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. cayenne
6 oz. tomato paste
1. For the BBQ Sauce: Cook the bacon. Lay a few strips of bacon on foil-lined rimmed baking sheets. Place in oven and set temp to 375° F. Bake until crispy, about 17-20 min. Place cooked strips on paper towels and allow to cool. If you already have bacon grease in your fridge, you can skip this step.
2. Take 3 tablespoons of bacon grease and add to a large frying pan. Add the chopped sweet onions to the pan and sauté until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix the molasses, Guinness, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne together until evenly combined. Pour into the pan with the onions and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the tomato paste and let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool. Puree in a blender until smooth and no chunks remain. May add finely chopped bacon bits to the sauce, or use as is.
5. To make the BBQ bacon: glaze uncooked bacon strips with sauce and place on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400° F for 15-17 minutes or until crispy.
Make sure to check out BaconToday.com for an explosion of bacon awesomeness!