Want to know how to be a sports talk radio host or play-by-play announcer? Then you’ll dig my 6th interview on How To Make It In Sports Media as I talk with Zach McCrite, Sports Talk Radio Host of 107.7 The Franchise in Oklahoma and The Podcast About Sports Radio.
In the interview Zach McCrite and I talk about:
- Doing play-by-play for the 2007 McDonald’s All American game which included Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, James Harden, and Kevin Love.
- Tips for how to be a good interviewer when hosting a show. He shares a great story about getting Amani Toomer to open up.
- How he got his start in sports media and landed a gig as a sports talk radio host.
- How to make your personal sports media brand stand out by not being afraid to swing and miss.
- How he got big sports media personalities to appear on his podcast.
At the end we also have a lightning round where Zach answers a bevy of sports questions.
Follow Zach McCrite on Twitter @BigEZ.
Some pull quotes from the podcast that stood out to me were:
- “Ask questions constantly, be a sponge.”
- “Fail enormously. Don’t be bland.”
- “Get something out of athletes no one else does.”
You can check out the other interviews from my How To Make It In Sports Media interview series:
- 5. Liz Loza, Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- 4. Dan Clasgens, FoxSports 1360, ESPN 1530 & GetSportsInfo.com
- 3. Todd Heyden, Co-Founder of Sports Lock
- 2. Larry Brown, Founder of LarryBrownSports.com
- 1. Jim Weber, Founder of LostLettermen.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
1. World’s Largest NBA Jerseys Database: There’s over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Dream of Working in Sports? We are looking for talented, passionate sports fans that want to be part of Team Bacon Sports and help grow the brand. Having the sports job of your dreams is possible and we want to help make that happen!
3. Bacon Sports Newsletter: If you dig what you see on Bacon Sports then sign up for our newsletter and become part of our community.