151: How Maurice Peebles Became Deputy Editor at Complex Sports
Maurice Peebles, Deputy Editor at Complex Sports, joins Rob Cressy to talk about the journey of his sports career. Maurice shares how he went from studying Journalism at Rutgers University, to landing an internship with Complex Media, to having to get a “real world job”, to eventually ending back with Complex Media.
Maurice gives a ton of actionable advice for anyone looking to make a career of working in sports and no doubt you’ll get a ton of value from this.
In the conversation Maurice Peebles and I talk about:
- The hustle it took for him to land an internship with Complex Media.
- How he had to get a real world non-sports job before landing a paying gig writing about sports.
- How starting his own sports blog opened up doors that lead to his current position at Complex Sports.
- How he started writing for Barstool Sports.
- What are the best ways for sports content creators to get on the radar of Complex Sports?
- What’s a day in the life like for the Deputy Editor at Complex Sports?
At the end we also have the Tampa Bay lightning round where Maurice answers a bevy of sports questions.
Some actionable takeaways from the podcast that stood out to me were:
- Send interesting pitches. It’s just not enough to have passion for working in sports.
- Keep writing and start your own sports blog.
- Do whatever you can to out hustle everyone else.
Follow Maurice Peebles on Twitter @TallMaurice.
You can check out the other conversations from my How To Make It In Sports Media series:
- 8. Joel Cordes, NBA Editor and Analyst at Bleacher Report
- 7. Dylan MacNamara, Director of Talent & Media at Bleacher Report
- 6. Zack McRite, 107.7 The Franchise
- 5. Liz Loza, Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- 4. Dan Clasgens, FoxSports 1360, ESPN 1530 & GetSportsInfo.com
- 3. Todd Heyden, Co-Founder of Sports Lock
- 2. Larry Brown, Founder of LarryBrownSports.com
- 1. Jim Weber, Founder of LostLettermen.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BACON SPORTS PODCAST!
1. World’s Largest eBay NBA Jerseys Database: Find NBA jerseys on eBay easier. We’ve got over 763 past and present NBA players from 1985 whose jerseys you can buy. If you love basketball jerseys then this is the holy grail!
2. Dream of Working in Sports? We are looking for talented, passionate sports fans that want to be part of Team Bacon Sports and help grow the brand. Having the sports job of your dreams is possible and we want to help make that happen!
3. Follow Bacon Sports on Snapchat: If you are on Snapchat then you need to be following me faster than Antonio Brown can take one to the house.
4. Bacon Sports Newsletter: If you love all sports everythang, Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson, rocking jerseys, or the Ultimate Warrior then sign up for our newsletter.No Comments